Monday, August 17, 2009

Amasake Recipe

Amasake is fermented glutinous rise, and used as excellent healthy sweetener.
First you soak your glutinous brown rice overnight in water : then you steam it for 30 minutes, the first 15 minutes with a lid on it, the last 15 minutes without a lid. You let cool down till the rice is still hot on your hand, but not too hot.  
Here I use pure starter, in most Western countries you find only inoculated rice. I make the starter fine in my mortar and add 90% of the powder to the rice, mixing it gently. When the mixing is done, put the rice in a non metalic sterile recipient, dig a hole in the middle and put the other 10% of the starter on the surface.
Close the recipient with gladpack and put at  room temperature for 3 days.
If all goes well you will see some liquid in the hole that you digged, and then the amasake will be ready.
Once ready , you can keep in in the refrigerator for 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.